Saturday, July 23, 2011

Kayak cart 2.0

This is the second kayak cart I've made - the first one wasn't as easy to use, and the wheels were too small to be really practical.
This is a folding golf bag cart with some of the extra things cut off of it, and some bungee cords added.  It works (and I've used it) as it is, but it would work better with some tweaking.

I bought the cart from Urban Ore in Berkeley, CA, for $5.  The bungees with snaps on one end and hooks on the other were bought as a kit at Home Depot (off the clearance table) for about $2.  The 'regular' bungee used on the cart's handle was just hanging around the house.

The bungees attached to the wheel supports are connected around the kayak to one side of the cockpit, and the cart's handle is bungeed (isn't it annoying when people verb nouns?) to the kayak near the bow or the stern, whichever is closest.  The rest of the gear is piled into the kayak, and then I can push or pull the kayak from either end. 

One of the drawbacks to the cart's current state is that the kayak can roll relative to the cart, and when I try to pull the kayak down the weedy little gravel path from the paved walk to the beach at Eckley the kayak tends to twist to one side and then the whole thing falls over, which is annoying, albeit not a great big deal.  And I'm not sure the golf bag cart is meant to hold the weight of the kayak (50 or 60 pounds).  On the plus side, it has a handy gizmo in the handle for storing a couple of golf balls.  Yay!

When I get to the beach at Eckley I shove the cart behind a big piece of driftwood and hope that nobody notices it.  This strategy works, so far, and I can load the kayak back on the cart once I'm done paddling without having to walk back to the car first.  (Update: last Sunday some misguided person swiped the bungie cords off the cart while I was out.  Now I'm going to leave the cart in the car.)  With cart v1.0 it was possible to take the cart apart and stash it in the kayak - but it never seemed to be worth the bother.

To do:  there is a Y-shaped plastic things near the middle of the unfolded cart that needs to be cut down, then make wider, and given a 'sticky' surface that won't allow the kayak to slide easily.  I can't get rid of the plastic thing altogether because it's needed for the unfolded handle to lock into place.

No comments:

Post a Comment