Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Ted Hamiter's Collage


I had a vague idea of making a spoof of The Garden of Earthly Delights by Hieronymus Bosch, and then, since I didn't get anything done until the last possible moment, I got this instead. The rabbit was swiped from the Wikipedia Commons, the coins were scanned (since I couldn't find anything interesting to scan), and everything else was from images that I had posted at flickr.com.

I had also thought about making a sort of recreation of William Kurelek's The Maze, and I guess it's just as well I didn't start that ... and besides, that could always be saved for a future project.

It seems to me (now that it's finished) that if I had thought to add some pigs (and maybe a hyena) I could claim that this was meant to illustrate the dehumanizing influence of the oil market in our culture. That, however, would have also meant having to have one of the animals performing some act of needless cruelty on the bunny, so screw that.

For now I'm going to claim that it's an indictment of consumer culture, or something, with a subtext of ecological awareness.



Potential titles (all of which were made up after the thing was finished):

Shopping at ConocoPhillips,
The OPEC Swap Meet,
Petroleum Products are Good for Your Genes,
and
Some Birds and a Rabbit and Some Coins and a Bunch of Pipes and Mechanical Things and Whatever

23 comments:

  1. This picture makes me laugh. It’s like taking two complete opposing ideas and putting them together in one scene. And the coins in the animal’s mouths are really funny too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It gives me a feeling of a movie how the animals that are supposed to be much smaller became huge. I like the movements in the scene, and the composition really makes my eyes work in circular to examine. I think there might be a message in this work that the artist wants to tell. I also really like the sharp background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This week is the earth week. So, Teds collage represents “green” life, meaning that we should pay much more attention to the nature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This week is the earth week. So, Teds collage represents “green” life, meaning that we should pay much more attention to the nature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a horror movie with the large birds :-) but the bunny reminds me of a Monte Python Movie with a “killer rabbit”. Does the money have a reference to the refinery?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like terrorist animal shave taken over the refinery!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting! The use of the quarters make me think that you are showing how businesses are making money at the expense of life and nature.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your creative concept for this collage. It feels like a scene of movie. Especially, I like the birds seem like they steal money from the factory.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the composition. Makes the eye travel all over the picture, finding new things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the composition. Makes the eye travel all over the picture, finding new things.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the composition. Makes the eye travel all over the picture, finding new things.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is really cool the positions of the birds. I feel like dozens of hours to achieve this. For some reason I think the bunny does not belong there. I wonder why quarters? It looks very surreal.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good skills with phoshop. The position of the birds are really cool. I am wonder why quarters? I feel the bunny dos not belong there. Looks spooky and surreal.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A strong and graphic environmental message that comes through clearly. Beautifully composed and layered. Great contrast of images.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I find this picture to be hilarious. I like how you used a bunch of oversized animals running around a refinery.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think the composition of this picture is amazing, everything fits together perfectly. I think the concept is really cool and you executed it very well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Birds, all sorts of birds that we see in our everyday lives. How freaky it would be if we were in their shoes how this picture portrays the birds as being the bigger individuals in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loved the birds taking over the industrial world, The composition was terrific. The contrast of the images and colors were great,

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really wasn't sure what to make of this one, but it's making me think like we're all going to be overtaken by birds and rabbits.

    ReplyDelete
  20. the animals are finally taking back the land that is theirs. I don't understand the money though. Are the birds trying to buy back the land?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great job on putting the animals right next to the plant. Makes you think about pollution and environmental issues.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Reminds me of Earth Day, there is some green grass left on the rabbit, and quarters; not really sure.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like how he is presenting an environmental issue.The animals versus the refinery.

    ReplyDelete