Friday, June 4, 2010

The kayak

I've been given this old fiberglass kayak. It was homemade a couple of decades ago, and now much of the gelcoat is missing, and it has duct tape on it that's been there for 20 years. There are foam blocks inside of it that hold up the deck and are probably meant to make the hull stiffer; those blocks are all out of wack. The bungee on the deck is new, and the flotation bags still work.

The seat isn't attached to the bottom of the hull, and it's probably supposed to be. There are adjustable foot pegs that still work, although they're hard to reach.

The boat came with two nearly-worn-out spray skirts, and I've got to figure out how to repair them or make a new one.

Tracking seems to be terrible, tho I'm not sure that it isn't just because I'm a beginner, and because I'm using it on open water instead of on a river. I'm working on a strap-on skeg to help with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment