Thursday, June 10, 2010

Strap-on kayak skeg sea trials

I took the kayak to the public boat launch ramp at the Berkeley marina's south basin. It was windy enough that the windsurfers were out, it was hard to make any headway to windward, and the waves were big enough to bury the boat's bow a couple of times.

The skeg worked the way I hoped it would, rather than the way I expected it to. Tracking was greatly improved, but not so much that the boat was painfully hard to turn. After about an hour and a half in the water I pulled the boat out and found that the skeg still seemed to be exactly where I had put it; I had thought that it would get pushed out of alignment after a while.

The next step is to try a shallow-draft skeg that would work when the boat is launched from a beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment