Monday, January 26, 2015

The Tyne tandem is for sale

I've lost my extra storage space and the Tyne is the last of my project boats that has to go.  This kayak is 17' long and it weighs 80 or 90 pounds.  This might be a good boat for camping and fishing on flat water in warm weather, and probably not so good on rivers, or on the bay in windy (that is, summer) weather unless you can make or modify a spray skirt to fit it.  It doesn't include paddles but it might include the cart that I made for a canoe.  There are two seat backs but they aren't shown in the photos. 

The Tyne probably ought to be folded up and stored inside in cold or wet weather unless the wood parts have been refinished and the canvas has been treated with something to make it mildew resistant (or if the original skin has been replaced with a PVC skin).

The frame still needs some minor repairs: the new coaming board needs to be sanded or planed to make it thinner and more flexible; a crack in one of the floorboards needs to be glued up and maybe reinforced with a little fiberglass or some thin plywood.  One of the gunnels has a crack that should be reinforced with fiberglass or thin marine plywood.  There are a few other issues, none of which can't be handled be anyone with average DIY skills.


Skin repairs:  The skin is canvas with a waterproof coating from the gunnels down.  The stitching is broken in a couple of places, and the waterproof coating needs to be patched or filled with something like black 3M 5200, Sikaflex, etc.  (Aquaseal might work but I don't think it would be cost-effective.)   I was thinking about making a lightweight new skin for this boat as a practice run for making a skin for an aluminum-frame boat, but I probably will never get to it; you can find instructions for making a skin at Tom Yost's folding kayak site.



The wood frame needs some minor repairs, and it might have a cracked rib that should probably be glued closed and reinforced with fiberglass or thin marine plywood on one side.


None of the repairs require any special skills unless you want to restore the Tyne to it's original condition for some reason.  If I get around to making this boat completely seaworthy before I sell it I'll make seats from some type IV PFDs or a couple of old boogie boards attached to the frame with nylon straps so they don't slide.

Broken stitches.  I suppose I could use 3M 5400 or something like that instead of replacing the actual stitches, but I'll try stitching first if I ever get to it.
broken stitches


I might be willing to trade for kayak gear, and maybe for materials I can use to build a skin for a Yost Sea Tour aluminum-frame folder.  I'm in the SF east bay area.

Update: it's been sold.

No comments:

Post a Comment